Tolland: An Old Post Road Town

A History of Tolland

Book Description

The fascinating history of an old Connecticut town whose founding, prospering, early 19th century decline, and 20th century resurgence reflect the history of many, many New England villages.
The story starts in 1713 when the nearby town of Windsor established a township in Tolland and granted land to Windsor citizens who so desired to settle the new township.
These pioneer settlers had all the hearty, robust traits of character it required to face the hazards of an untouched wilderness. Taking first things first as they saw them they established institutions for public worship and a sound system for the maintenance of local government. As evidence of how well they did their job Tolland exists today enjoying its greatest growth and prosperity.
But it was not that easy; for Tolland, like so many of her sister New England communities, suffered the economic rigors of the late 1700s and early 1800s. Indeed, starting about 1830 Tolland suffered a steady decline that lasted for 120 years as its agriculturally oriented families probed westward in search of better farm lands.
Starting in 1950, as the influence of greater Hartford expanded, Tolland grew to 2950 in 1960 and to 8500 in 1970.
Tolland: An Old Post Road Town tells the whole story of its institutions, its service to our country, and its people with absorbing biographical sketches and genealogical records of many of its prominent citizens.

About Weigold, Harold

Harold Weigold. The compiling and editing of all of this information into one book was done for The Historical Society of Tolland, Inc., by Mr. Harold Weigold. Mr. Weigold was born in Tolland in the old homestead on Weigold Road on December 20, 1896. He attended the old Grant’s Hill School and the Rockville High School. He graduated from the Carnegie Mellon Institute in Pittsburgh, Pa., with a B. S. degree in engineering. In 1924, he married Emma Lillian Daniels of Providence, Rhode Island, and they have four daughters. He worked for the United States Rubber Co., now called Uniroyal, for 40 years. His last position was that of Factory Manager of the large Detroit Tire Plant. During the Second World War, he held executive positions in three different munitions plants and was awarded citations by both the Army and the Navy for his work. He retired in 1959 and returned to live on part of the old homestead, where he built a new home.